Good governance ensures we work strategically and effectively
The Patients First Board, Steering Group and Shareholder provide governance functions to support and direct our work programme and objectives.
The Patients First Board is responsible for the direction and long-term strategy of Patients First.
Our Board members are appointed by our Shareholder, General Practice New Zealand. They are chosen based on skills, expertise and competencies that support Patients First to achieve its objectives.
The Steering Group ensures that Patients First’s activities represent insight and context from stakeholders in the health sector.
The Group gives advice on our work programme and strategy, advocates for our services and products, and facilitates discussion and debate about things that relate to health information and systems.
Steering Group Members
- Dr Richard Medlicott (Chair), Island Bay Medical | General Practitioner
- Catherine Gerard, Health Quality & Safety Commission | Senior Evaluation Manager
- Dan Hope, Ministry of Health | Principal Advisor, Data & Digital
- Darren Douglass, Ministry of Health | Group Manager Digital Strategy and Investment
- David Bratt, Ministry of Social Development | Principal Health Advisor
- David Moore, Sapere Research Group | Managing Director
- Dr Jeff Lowe, General Practice New Zealand | Chair
- Liz Stockley, General Practice New Zealand | Chief Executive Officer
- Michael Howard, Central TAS | Programme Manager
- Richard Hamblin, Health Quality and Safety Commission | Director Health Quality & Evaluation
- Shayne Hunter, Ministry of Health | Deputy-Director General, Data & Digital
- Stephanie Fletcher | Consumer Representative
- Zeeman Van Der Merwe, ACC | Manager Information Strategy and Planning
General Practice New Zealand (GPNZ) is the sole shareholder of Patients First. GPNZ is the representative body for general practice, through Primary Health Organisations (PHOs) in New Zealand.
GPNZ oversees Patients First and the achievement of its objectives. It agrees the constitution, objectives, purpose and rules for the organisation, and appoints members to the Board.